Because Bluffton is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music and an All-Steinway School, you can be assured that you will receive a quality musical education. Bluffton's music department is unique from other liberal arts schools in that:
- Our music education program is highly respected, with strong connections to area public school music programs.
- We offer opportunities for performance to all Bluffton students, beginning in their first year, in both vocal and instrumental ensembles.
- Yoder Recital Hall
- An active Ohio Collegiate Music Education Chapter
- Private lessons in voice, keyboard, wind, percussion and stringed instruments are available for credit and are open to all students.
The music major, with five possible concentrations, prepares students for entry-level positions in fields such as church music or music retailing. The curriculum requires 45 semester hours in music and allows time to complete a second major in another department. Each concentration maintains a common core of music theory, music history, piano and applied study.
Many Bluffton music graduates have gone on to complete master's and doctoral degrees.
Kenzie Newberry '20, a music education major from Defiance, Ohio, was initially drawn to Bluffton because of the music program. In her time at Bluffton, Newberry has gotten a wide range of musical experience, helping prepare her for her dream career of being a band director.
“My people skills have gotten a lot better. I used to be super in my shell, and I
wouldn’t go out and talk to people. Now I’m in front of ensembles, which is something
I never thought I would be able to do.”
- Business allows you to specialize in a variety of areas artist management, arts administration, music retail or recording.
- General studies provides you the opportunity to specialize your music learning experience.
- Music ministry prepares you for leading music in the worship service as well as participating in worship planning.
- Performance studies provides an opportunity for you to develop skills in a performance area, preparing you for graduate study.
- Piano pedagogy is the study of piano teaching. This concentration ensures that you will develop your teaching and business skills so that you will be successful in the area of private teaching.
This major can be completed in three years if you are a dedicated and ambitious student.
- Minor in music
Complete a major in music in four year with the following guildlines for students beginning fall 2019 and after.
MULTI-AGE: MUSIC EDUCATOR LICENSURE
The music education major is a licensure program that meets the Ohio licensure requirements and prepares students to teach both vocal and instrumental music pre-kindergarten through grade 12. Bluffton University music education majors have earned a reputation for excellence in Ohio public schools.
Kimberly Meyer, a music and music education double major, decided to step outside of her comfort zone by completing her student teaching experience in a completely new setting—Chicago.
“The more I learned about the Chicago program, the more I knew this is what I wanted
Worship arts incorporates existing classes from the music, religion, art and communication and theatre departments, and prepares students for church positions and/or seminary. It will also bolster cooperation and increased involvement in chapel and campus ministry programs.
It is essential that students majoring in worship arts have a solid grounding in theology and be proficient in various musical areas, visual art, communication and theatre. While a worship arts major will be housed in the music department, it is a multi-disciplinary program that brings together multiple academic departments and the area of campus ministry.
Hannah McBride, a music ministry and worship arts double major, connects with one part of Chapel the most, music.
She schedules students to lead worship, often writes the benediction and sings with
the praise band.