High-achieving high school students are invited to campus on either Nov. 10, 2018, or Feb. 16, 2019 , to compete for one of two
Full-Tuition Presidential Scholarships
These scholarships are valued at $121,000 through the four years of undergraduate education at Bluffton.
Participants receive a $1,000 annual scholarship just for participating in the Presidential Scholarship Competition.
- Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Score a minimum 25 ACT/1200 on the SAT (critical reading and math)
- Earn admission to Bluffton prior to the competition date
- Register for the competition
All eligible students are welcome to participate in this competition. Families are also welcome to come to campus.
- Participating students prepare for the competition by completing an assigned reading that is chosen by the faculty lecturer for the competition.
Once on campus for the competition, students will attend a 45-minute presentation from the Presidential Scholarship Lecturer.
Students are encouraged to take notes during this lecture.
After the lecture, participants will have approximately 90 minutes to write an essay in response to a question provided on the topics of both the reading and the lecture. Students may use the assigned reading and notes taken during the lecture as reference when writing their essay.
- The reading for the 2018 competition will be sent to all registered participants in January 2018.
Choosing a winner
The two Presidential Scholarship Competition winners are chosen based on 3 criteria:
- Essay scored by two Bluffton University faculty members
Remember, all students that participate in the competition will receive an additional $1,000 annual scholarship to Bluffton. This is a total of $4,000 over four years.
Register to participate
8:45 -9:15 a.m.
Registration and continental breakfast
Essay exam for students
Alternate activities for parents
Presentation of certificates
Academic Fair and dessert, faculty showcases
Other afternoon options available (Campus tours, men's basketball game)