In Ohio, the alternative resident educator license is an accelerated pathway to classroom
teaching. This pathway allows students, schools and communities to benefit from the
candidates' content-related knowledge, life experience and successful career experience.
Ohio students can benefit from the rich knowledge base and successful career and life
experiences of content experts in a variety of teaching fields. As Ohio focuses on
assuring a high-quality teacher in every classroom, it is important that a wide range
of professionals are invited to bring their talents and expertise into our schools.
The Bluffton University Educator Preparation Program has been approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education to provide coursework and experiences that lead to verification to the Ohio Department of Education for the four year alternative resident educator license and then the five year professional license. In addition to Ohio Department of Education/Ohio Department of Higher Education requirements, candidates for the four year alternative resident educator license complete Bluffton University’s approved Professional Development Institute and candidates for the five year professional license complete the Intensive Pedagogical Program.
If you are interested in information about the alternative license pathway at Bluffton University, please contact Dr. Gayle Trollinger, Director of Educator Preparation (email@example.com).
For approval of the alternative four-year resident educator license you must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree with at least a 2.5 GPA with a major in the content area for the license;
- Complete the Bluffton University/Ohio Department of Education Alternative License Application;
- Submit passing scores on the required Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) content assessment(s);
- Complete the required Bluffton Alternative License Intensive Pedagogical Program coursework
with at least a C in each class;
- EDU 200 Introduction to Teaching (3 credits)
- EDU 220 Curriculum and Assessment (2 credits)
- EDU 303 Computers and Technology in Education (2 credits)
- EDU 353 Educational Psychology and Instructional Practice (3 credits)
- PSY 110 Introduction to Psychology (3 credits)
- SED 228 Introduction to Students with M/M Educational Needs (3 credits)
- SED 389 Diagnosis and Educational Planning (required only for the IS alternative license) (3 credits)
- Have positive recommendations from the Academic Dean, Dean of Students, Major Department Chair and the Director of the Educator Preparation Program; and
- Submit complete and clear background checks (not older than 365 days).
For approval of the five-year professional educator license you must:
- Hold an alternative four-year license (copy of the license must be on file with the EPP and the ODE);
- Successfully complete all components of the Ohio Resident Educator Program;
- Have four years of successful teaching experience under the alternative resident educator license. (The candidate must upload a letter on district letterhead signed and dated by the employing superintendant or human resourses director during the application process. The letter must state the grade levels and subjects taught during each year of employment.);
- Submit passing score on the required Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) professional knowledge assessment;
- Successfully complete all Ohio Department of Higher Education and the Ohio Department of Education online mods (via Bluffton); and
- Successfully complete the required Bluffton professional Development Institute coursework
with at least a B in each class.
- EDU 615 Differentiated Curriculum and Instruction (3 credits)
- EDU 629 Data Informed Educational Leardership (3 credits)
- EDU 645 Educational Technology (3 credits)
- EDU 655 Instructional Design: Literacy Across the Curriculum (fulfills the Content Reading Requirements for AYA/MA) (3 credits)
- SED 603 Advanced Classroom Organizations (3 credits)