Social work major

The primary objectives of Bluffton's social work major are to prepare you for entry-level practice and to provide a solid foundation for graduate school. An exceptional field work (internship) program enables you to choose from more than 40 human service agencies to complete 440 hours of required practicum experience in your senior year.

We encourage graduates to promote social and economic justice; value the dignity, worth and inherent human rights of each person; and demonstrate integrity and competency based on best practices supported by scientific inquiry. Social Work provides an effective approach to working with individual needs and social problems. Career opportunities include working in these following fields: health and social services, business and nonprofit organizations, community organizations, criminal justice, and federal, state, local government.

Demetrius Terry

Our students

"I love the little things that happen here on campus. Everybody here does the little things and whether they know it or not, it’s impactful to someone like me.” >>>Demetrius's story


Campus Activities involve The Social Work Club and Smucker Lecture Series, in which a guest speaker is invited to present the Smucker Lecture Series Forum. The series brings significant contributors from the field of social work to Bluffton.

Bluffton's accredited social work program enables Bluffton's graduates to apply for state licensure. Our program meets all necessary standards to provide a high-quality educational experience with professors interested in your growth and development throughout your time here.



In addition to declaring a social work major, you must apply to be formally admitted to the social work program and fulfill socialization activity requirements.

Application for admission to the social work program and a record of professional socialization activities are included in the Social Work Student Manual.

Want to learn more about Bluffton?