Graduation Procedures for Students
- Check total hours required at the bottom of the top section of the graduation requirement audit report. Generally, 124 hours are required for graduation. Occasionally, 125 or 126 hours may be required. Hours listed in each aim may be duplicated; do not add these hours to find the total. A minimum of 30 hours must be completed at Bluffton University. Twenty-four of the final 30 hours must be completed at Bluffton.
- A minimum total and major GPA of 2.0 is required for all students (check yours at the right of the top section). Social work majors must earn a major GPA of 2.25 and education majors require a major GPA of 2.5 (2.7 for education majors entering in fall 2012 or later.)
- Remaining course requirements are listed in the requirements detail section. Check status as met or required in the status column (M = Met, R = Required, N = Needs, RI = Required In Progress, O = Override, S = Substitution, T = Transfer). All requirements must be met in order to complete the degree and receive the diploma. (The only exception to this is the category marked free electives .) If you believe a requirement has been met that is not marked M, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Course Needs option may be used ONLY as a summary of the specific course requirements remaining. This list does not include any elective hours that may be needed to meet the total hours required or courses that are part of group requirements.
- Additional graduation requirements include the departmental exam, institutional assessment,
returning all library materials and meeting all financial obligations.
Graduation Date and Participation
- Bluffton University has three graduation dates per year: a May graduation date after the end of the spring semester, an August graduation date, which is the last day of the summer semester, and a December graduation date, which is the last day of the fall semester. Projected graduation dates are assigned as carefully as possible for helping the student plan degree completion, but do not determine the actual graduation date. A student must complete course work within 21 days of the given graduation date to be considered as a graduate for that date.
- Students who will have completed all graduation requirements by the May graduation date participate in May graduation exercises.
- Diplomas are given to students during graduation ceremonies if all requirements are completed and all financial obligations fulfilled. Arts & Lecture requirements must be completed two weeks before graduation in order to receive your diploma at graduation.
- Students who plan to complete all graduation requirements by the August graduation date participate in May graduation exercises. Students should be registered at Bluffton University for the summer term, or have pre-approvals completed for courses being taken elsewhere by April 1. These students receive a diploma cover, but do not receive the actual diploma until all requirements have been completed, all financial obligations fulfilled and the August graduation date has passed.
- Students who will have completed all graduation requirements by December 2014 who did not participate in May 2014 graduation exercises will participate in May 2015.
- Students who plan to complete all graduation requirements by December 2015 have two options:
- These students may participate in the graduation exercises in May 2016 following their completion date. Once all requirements have been completed and the December graduation date has passed, these students will receive a transcript showing the graduation date and that the degree is completed, They do not receive the actual diploma until participation in graduation exercises the following May.
- Students who have the equivalent of less than one semester (15 hours) of course work remaining after May 2015 and plan to have this completed by the December 2015 may request permission to participate in graduation exercises of May 2015. This request must be made in writing to vice president and dean of academic affairs, Sally Weaver Sommer, by Feb. 27, 2015. The permission letter must outline what work needs to be completed and the plan for completion. If granted permission, these students may participate in the graduation exercises before their completion date. These students receive a diploma cover but do not receive the actual diploma until all requirements have been completed, all financial obligations fulfilled and the December graduation date has passed.
- Students who will be finished in August or December after May ceremonies and who plan on taking work at another university in order to meet their graduation must complete a pre-approval form for all coursework to be taken elsewhere. This form must be submitted to the registrar's office by April 1, 2015.
- Students are responsible to complete the proper procedures in order to be granted permission to be included in graduation ceremonies.
March 2, 2015, is the deadline for adding students to the graduation list. (No Exceptions)
Please contact the registrar s office if you think you meet the criteria for participating in May graduation ceremonies at: email@example.com.