Multicultural Student Development
Multicultural Student Development Center
The Multicultural Student Development Center was established in the early 1970s to promote academic and personal growth and development of minority and international students enrolled at Bluffton University.
CENTER HOURS: Monday — Friday from 9 a.m. — 5 p.m.
LOCATION: The Multicultural Student Development Center is located in the Hirschy Breezeway.
To promote the involvement and development of all students
Multicultural Student Development...
- promotes understanding and sensitivity to the values of a diverse college community
- seeks to address the unique needs of under-represented groups within the student body
- educates the college community about the changing profile of our student body
- promotes leadership development of students of color through education, experience and involvement
SERVICES PROVIDED BY MULTICULTURAL student development
We seek to provide the Bluffton University student community with:
- Counseling: academic and personal
- Meeting place and study space for students
- Provide informational referrals for students
- Act as a liaison for students
- Celebrates diversity through programming
- Multicultural Student Organization
- Introduction of the application process to apply for the Community Enrichment Scholarship
- Resource Center
BECOME A STUDENT WORKER
Each semester, the multicultural affairs office hires student workers to complete items such as publicity, research and programming. You can become a vital part to our success. If interested, please contact the Director of Multicultural Student Development, the semester before you would like to work. The position is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
A SPACE FOR YOU
The center has couches, computers and television. The space can be used for meetings, socials, movie nights or a study space. Drop by the center to clear your activity(ies) with the director.
Programming within the center is conducted by various student organizations.
The Multicultural Student Development Center offers a wide variety of books, dvds and other literature surrounding the topic of the center. Feel free to drop by and explore the materials for your classes, leisure or research.
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education-http://diverseeducation.com
- CNN's Program: Black in America-http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/black.in.america/
- CNN's Program: Latino in America-http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2009/latino.in.america/
- The Multicultural Pavilion-http://www.edchange.org/multicultural/index.html
Program H.O.M.E. (Hope, Opportunity, Mentorship and Education) matches incoming students of color with upper class mentors to help new students become better oriented into the Bluffton community.
The Bluffton University Community Enrichment Grant is awarded to promising students who are underrepresented on the Bluffton campus.
International Connection (ICon) is a gathering of friends from around the world. There is no official membership but rather an open invitation to all students to develop friendships that thrive beyond planned activities.