Buildings and Grounds
Responsible for campus grounds and athletic field maintenance, including mowing, landscaping, snow removal, the maintenance of grounds equipment, and trash collection. Supervises the student grounds crew.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for daily upkeep of campus, including mowing, landscaping, tree trimming, weeding, snow and ice removal and trash removal.
- Maintain campus athletic fields and irrigation systems.
- Operate and maintain grounds equipment, including mowers, lifts, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, power washers and other power tools.
- Direct the student grounds crew in maintaining campus properties during the summer and academic year.
- Asist in moving campus furniture and equipment as requested.
- Apply fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides as needed.
- Assist in preparing for special campus events.
- Occasional evening and/or weekend duties (as determined by supervisor).
- Complete work order requests.
- Coordinate with vendors on projects related to grounds maintenance.
- Observe and follow workplace safety rules and guidelines.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of this job.
- High school graduate or approved equivalent
- Ability to properly use power tools and equipment
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions in English
- Knowledge of various lawn care equipment and tools, ability to manage multiple tasks and attention to detail are required.
- Basic understanding of workplace safety policies and hazard recognition
- Basic computer skills
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for a diverse workplace
- Hold a valid driver’s license
The physical demands and/or work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by the employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, climb and kneel.
- Often works in adverse weather conditions.
- Regularly operates campus vehicles and large mowing equipment.
- Frequent heavy lifting and/or moving.
- Frequent use of power tools and hand tools.
- Requires occasional trips off campus for job related activities.
- Letter of interest
- Completed Bluffton employment application form
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817-2104
Bluffton University welcomes applications from all qualified persons who respect the Anabaptist/Mennonite peace church tradition and endorse Christian higher education in a liberal arts environment. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. EOE.