Future StudentsCurrent StudentsAlumni & FriendsParentsFaculty & StaffCommunity
Increase Font SizeDecrease Font Size
Our majors
Our faculty
Our library
Academic catalog
Honor programs
Graduate studies
Adult degree completion
Institute for Learning in Retirement
Technology resources
Cross cultural program
Registrar's office
  • orientation
  • room and board
  • health & insurance
  • vehicle privileges
  • Career development

  • standards of conduct
  • learning resources
  • co-curricular activities

    Student services

    A special advantage of the small college is the close personal relationship possible between students and members of the faculty and administration. The student life program of the university is under the direction of the vice president and  dean of student life.

    New undergraduate students entering in the fall are asked to attend a one-day registration/orientation program during the summer and a three-day orientation program that takes place during the days before classes begin. The program is designed to orient students and their families to each other and to all phases of the university program. New students will also be asked to participate in a summer reading program. A complete outline of the orientation programs is made available through the admissions office or can be accessed through Bluffton's web site.

    Room and board
    All students not living at home are required to live in one of the university residence halls.

    Rooms in the residence halls are furnished with beds, dressers, desks, chairs and drapes. Any additional furniture and furnishings must be provided by the student. Students must furnish their own linen, bedding and toilet articles. The college cannot insure the personal effects of students.

    All students living in university residences are required to purchase one of the meal plans available through the food service program.

    Student resident advisers
    Upper-class students are selected each year to serve as resident advisers in the residence halls; they are responsible to the hall directors. Available at all hours to any student, the resident advisor plays an important role in helping students adjust to campus life.

    Student health service
    Bluffton maintains a health service under the supervision of the student life office.

    Each new student is required to submit a medical history form to the health service prior to enrollment in classes. This must include documentation of a TB test taken within six months prior to admission and two MMR shots. All athletes must submit a Bluffton University physical exam form prior to participating in athletics each year. This form must be signed by a licensed medical physician (not a chiropractor, nurse practitioner or physician's assistant).

    The Health Center is staffed by a registered nurse five days a week (9 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and 7:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday and Friday) during the school year. The nurse is available to treat minor illnesses, provide health education and counseling and arrange referrals to local physicians when necessary. There is a charge for TB tests. All other services are free of charge.

    A physician is available to see students in the Health Center two mornings a week. This service is free of charge.

    The Bluffton Campus of the Blanchard Valley Regional Health Center is located minutes away from the university. Twenty-four hour emergency room care is available if needed.

    Health insurance
    A health insurance plan is available to all students. Students will automatically be billed for the health insurance unless a waiver card is signed. On the waiver card, the student must provide the name and number of her/his health policy. The student is responsible for all hospital and doctor's expenses if the insurance policy has been waived. Questions concerning the health insurance plan should be directed to the business office.

    Motor vehicle privileges
    All automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, motorbikes and motor scooters owned or operated by employees or students and brought to campus must display an official college motor vehicle parking sticker. Vehicles must be registered in the business office. Students are permitted to park their vehicles only in authorized parking areas. Consult the Student Handbook for the location of authorized parking areas.

    Career Development Center
    The Career Development Center is located in Hauenstein Hall in Riley Court and provides a variety of services to students and alumni. Individual career counseling, small group workshops, job vacancy listings, career newsletters and materials in the Career Library assist students in the various phases of career and life planning. The Career Development Center recognizes that each person is an individual and has unique aspirations and abilities. The services and resources provided aim to: 1) support individuals in the career development process; 2) provide access to information about career, service and graduate school opportunities; and 3) assist students in securing employment.