Bluffton vs. MSJ / Hanover
Beavers open HCAC action with victory at Mt. St. Joseph
April 4, 2007
CINCINNATI, Ohio - On a cold and snowy afternoon when most sports events were cancelled due to freezing temperatures and gusty winds, the Bluffton University men's tennis team traveled to Cincinnati to make up a conference tri-match and the Beavers came away with their first victory of the season, an 8-1 drubbing of Mt. St. Joseph. Bluffton was perfect in doubles play and it took five of six singles matches on its way to a 1-0 record in the Heartland Conference on Wednesday, April 4, 2007.
In the second match of the day from MSJ, the Hanover Panthers made short work of Bluffton, winning five singles matches for the 5-0 victory over the Beavers. Following the loss to the Panthers, Bluffton stands at 1-6, 1-1 in the HCAC.
Bluffton freshmen Luke Roeschley (Chicago, Ill./Whitney Young) and Sean Williams (Upper Sandusky/Upper Sandusky) both picked up their first career victories against the Mount. Williams won 6-2, 6-1 at 3rd singles, while Roeschley took his match at 6th singles by a final tally of 6-4, 6-4. Junior standouts Tim Kauffman (Lilburn, Ga./Parkview) and Blake Babcock (Findlay/Findlay) won their matches at 1st and 2nd singles after a dominating 8-1 victory at 1st doubles. Freshman Daniel Tinch (Middletown/Madison) took home a pair of wins for the Beavers, a 6-4, 6-3 decision at 4th singles and an 8-5 2nd doubles victory with Williams. The Beavers completed their sweep in doubles action with an 8-0 shutout by Ryan Thomas (Jamestown/Greenview) and Roeschley.
The Beavers are scheduled to return to the hard courts on Saturday, April 7, when they will travel to Franklin for a tri-match against the Grizzlies and Anderson University Ravens at 9 a.m.
Bluffton 8, Mt. St. Joseph 1
1. Tim Kauffman (Bluffton) def. Ross Erlenbaugh (MSJ) 6-2, 6-3
2. Blake Babcock (Bluffton) def. J.R. South (MSJ) 6-1, 5-1 def./injury
3. Sean Williams (Bluffton) def. John Bolger (MSJ) 6-2, 6-1
4. Daniel Tinch (Bluffton) def. Christopher Knapp (MSJ) 6-4, 6-3
5. Kevin Koch (MSJ) def. Ryan Thomas (Bluffton) 6-4, 6-3
6. Luke Roeschley (Bluffton) def. Tony Blomer (MSJ) 6-4, 6-4
1. Babcock/Kauffman (Bluffton) def. Erlenbaugh/Blomer (MSJ) 8-1
2. Williams/Tinch (Bluffton) def. Bolger/Knapp (MSJ) 8-5
3. Thomas/Roeschley (Bluffton) def. Robbby Lykes/Travis Huffman (MSJ) 8-0
Hanover 5, Bluffton 0
1. Dave Rifkind (Hanover) def. Tim Kauffman (Bluffton) 6-2, 6-1
2. John Lopresti (Hanover) vs. Blake Babcock (Bluffton) DNF
3. Doug Anewalt (Hanover) def. Sean Williams (Bluffton) 6-1, 6-1
4. Evan Campbell (Hanover) def. Daniel Tinch (Bluffton) 6-3, 6-2
5. Sam Pollom (Hanover) def. Ryan Thomas (Bluffton) 6-1, 6-0
6. Ryan Shepherd (Hanover) def. Luke Roeschley (Bluffton) 6-1, 6-2